If you want more than total seclusion by day and gazing into a firepit by night here's a helpful list to get you out and about on your next High-Country stay... check our list of 15 things to do, all within 15 minutes from your accommodation at Kiambram Country Cottages:
ON YOUR DOORSTEP -
1. A short steep walk, no more than 10 minutes from your accommodation to watch the sunset from a private hilltop Sunset Spot. Check the time for Toowoomba sunsets and arrive shortly before to catch the sun over the western downs at just the right time. Brilliant scenery all the way to the Bunya Mountains.
2. Stroll in front of the cabin area through the Bush Tucker Trail, now with extended mown walkways and many useful native plants labelled. After recent summer rains the older naturally regenerated bush has really bulked out providing refreshing shade and a bounty of little birds.
3. Our horses are retired but love a carrot and a chat. If you're loving the farmyard theme their old riding arena is undergoing a transformation as an ecofriendly space for guests to observe the chicken flock and vegie garden (with hopefully some produce to collect by spring). Watch this space for fun and informative additions.
JUST DOWN THE ROAD -
4. Dinner, brunch or tapas across the valley at award winning Rosalie House Cellar Door Restaurant in the beautiful old building or amongst the vines. Renee and the wonderful team kindly discount to guests during their stay here. Look out for their events and interactive experiences too. Can't decide on a designated driver? Garden City Cabs will transfer you from our carpark to theirs. Please book well ahead for this popular venue.
5. Don't miss the iconic Meringandan Pub! Just over the hill and on Wotif's list for 10 Best Aussie Country Pubs 2021. Open 7 days this place is kept busy enough with Toowoomba locals without the rest of the country knowing where it is! They can usually squeeze in a couple but best book ahead for groups. Large meals and great country hospitality.
6. Try something new! Call Pedal Skate Paddle & Roll to have them deliver equipment for your chosen activity. PSPR will drop bikes here for you to ride the country roads or meet at a dam with kayaks. You choose the adventure and they'll supply the equipment. Meringandan West is the closest Skate Park to Kiambram. Check out their next Saturday night roller skate event at Gowrie Junction Hall too.
7. Talking about country halls, Gowrie Little Plain's very own historic hall is still in regular use for dances and country music. Something on most weekends. There's even a tennis club that welcomes visitors to play midweek. Enquire about hiring the hall for a special event.
8. Wicked Wings Para/Hang Gliding Club has a jump site on the southern end of Mt Storey (the other end of the hill Kiambram is a part of) which operates when the westerlies are suitable in winter. If you are a keen glider this may be fun to join in.
A SHORT DRIVE -
9. Practice your swing at Toowoomba's newest and longest golf driving range at Birnam; Toowoomba side of Gowrie Junction.
10. Visit Cooby Dam, popular with bush walkers, nature lovers and water sports enthusiasts. A multitude of picnic and playgrounds as well. Restricted to electric vessels, sail boats and paddle craft this is a very quiet and picturesque lake. Book that Kayak!
11. Gummingurru is a transformational experience should you be lucky enough to secure an appointment to visit. A bora ground on the traditional trail to the Bunya Mountains ancient bunya festival it also has a modern day story and relevance of it's own. Please plan well ahead for this one.
12. Billy Tea and Damper and the biggest day out for the whole family can be had at Pioneer Village, Highfields' historical living museum. The new home of Queensland's famous "Big Cow" there are multiple quality collections, working demonstrations and even animals. So much to see and very affordable.
13. Gourmet chocolate, lunch and gifts to be found at The Chocolate Cottage on the Village Green, Highfields along with the bespoke McCartney & Creed shoe and clothing shop and other unique stores.
14. Now open! Tour and taste with Monty Brewing Co. authentic craft beers and ciders at Range View Hotel, right on the edge of the Great Dividing Range, Highfields. A certified independent brewery with some of the best views around.
15. Last but not least the beautiful Peacehaven Botanic Park . Covering over 5 hectares with sculpture lined leafy walks, panoramic views and a wildlife pond, this is a magic spot for a romantic stroll or a family barbecue.
PLEASE CLICK OUR "SEE & DO" PAGE OR EMAIL ON "CONTACT US" FOR FURTHER INFO